An Important Health & Safety Update from Beyond the Box
regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) & changes in our procedures
Last updated 7th August 2020
In response to the current Victorian state of disaster and outbreak of coronavirus COVID-19, Beyond the Box have made temporary changes to some of our policies and the services we are able to provide.
As of 6th August 2020, new Stage 4 industry restrictions are active in Metropolitan Melbourne. As such, Beyond the Box has made required changes to our operations to comply with our obligations as an employer and the directions of the Chief Health Officer, Victoria.
Principally, these changes are:
- Our service and repair team is still operational providing Apple equipment repair and maintenance to permitted industries (including remote learning for students and staff). Service and repair is now by appointment only, and appointments must be booked and confirmed via our Express Lane online booking tool. We are unable to provide any service to walk-in customers at this time. For more information, we have provided some answers to Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this post.
- Our retail showroom is currently closed. We are operating a limited contactless “click and collect” or postage service for customers to purchase essential goods. Retail enquiries can be made via our online contact form or by calling our team on (03) 9372 8899.
- Beyond the Box has a COVID Safe Plan in place which is regularly updated and meets all other obligations under the Stage 4 restrictions.
Please note that until further notice:
- Beyond the Box are not able to accept iOS devices for repair or service. This includes iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, iPod, Apple TV & HomePod devices, as well as AirPods, headphones and other accessories. If you require service for your iOS device, we recommend visiting the Apple support website at https://www.apple.com/support or calling Apple on 1300 321 456.
- We are currently accepting Mac device service check-ins by appointment only. Appointments are being made available for essential education or permitted industry repairs only and can be booked through our Express Lane online booking tool by clicking here. If appointment slots are unavailable or if you are unable to make an appointment online, please contact us via our online contact form and we will assist you where possible. Due to Apple Retail stores in the state of Victoria being closed, we are experiencing a significant increase in demand and turnaround times for all service and repairs are currently extending out to approximately 3 weeks.
- As per current Victorian government and DHHS guidelines, the use of a face covering is required to attend Beyond the Box. If you require more information on appropriate face coverings and other guidelines, we recommend visiting the DHHS website.
- We have put in place increased cleaning and disinfection procedures in our office and service centre, including for customer devices as they are checked in and before being collected.
- We are implementing additional social distancing and contactless measures for customers attending appointments or collecting repairs. This may lead to additional wait times when visiting us.
- There may be additional delays to the services we are able to provide due to parts availability and that of courier/delivery services. We will work to communicate these to you where possible, but some delays may be outside of our control.
- If you meet any of the self-isolation criteria outlined by the Victorian department of Health and Human Services, please call their hotline on 1800 675 398, and do not attend Beyond the Box.
These changes in policy and service are designed to protect the health and safety of all our staff and customers. We appreciate your understanding, patience and continued commitment to supporting local businesses during these uncertain and trying times.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us via our online contact form or give us a call on (03) 9372 8899.
Thank you for your understanding & co-operation during this time.
The Beyond the Box Team
Frequently Asked Questions
The following list tries to answer the most frequent questions that our team are fielding in regards to our current operations. Simply click on a question below to expand it and see the answer. If you question is not listed or you require further details, please click here to contact us online, or give our team a call on (03) 9372 8899.
Beyond the Box is operational in a limited capacity during the Stage 4 restrictions. Our retail showroom is closed, but is allowing a contactless “click and collect” service for essential goods. For more information, please call our retail team on (03) 9372 8899 or contact us online.
Our Apple service & repair workshop is operational to provide essential service and repair to permitted industries by appointment only. For more information on how this may apply to you, we recommend clicking here to access our Express Lane online booking tool which will step you through your service options during this time.
If you live within 5 kilometres of Beyond the Box, you are able to visit us for “Click & Collect” and check-in/collection of Apple repairs.
If you live further than 5 kilometres away, we would ask you to consider your essential need for a repair. The Department of Health and Human Services has released advice that “For some people the nearest goods and services will be more than 5km away. In this situation you may travel beyond 5km to the nearest provider”.
In support this messaging in regards to maintenance and repair, the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (VACC) has released advice after consulting with the Victorian Government that; “If a vehicle requires a specialist and/or brand-specific workplace in order to complete repairs, then [they] can travel outside the five kilometre zone to access these services”.
As an Apple Authorised Service Provider, Beyond the Box would contend that our equipment maintenance and repair service is specialist and brand-specific. We would recommend that customers check Apple’s online Service Locator tool to find their nearest available service provider, or confirm that Beyond the Box is indeed their nearest one.
Please note that as of 7th August 2020, we have confirmed that several other listed Apple Authorised Service Providers have opted to close in full for the Stage 4 restrictions period. We recommend calling providers to confirm that they are open and accepting bookings.
Beyond the Box recommends that you seek independent advice as to your ability to travel and is unable to take any responsibility for your decision to travel.
Due to overwhelming demand, Beyond the Box are not currently able to offer service for any iOS products listed above, as well as Beats or related accessories. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Apple made the decision to close their Victorian retail stores on the 8th of July 2020 and are these are still currently closed. As we are sure you can understand, this has placed an extraordinary demand on repair services for Apple products. As a small business, we currently only have capacity to offer Apple Mac repair and servicing. For more information on your repair options, we would recommend you calling Apple on 1300 321 456, or visit their support website.
Beyond the Box are an IT services company based in Essendon specialising in IT equipment supply, repair and support for specific industries. Namely; Beyond the Box are an Apple Authorised Solutions Expert for Education and a Registered NDIS Provider for communications devices and assistive technology.
Beyond the Box provides “Machinery and equipment repair and maintenance” (ANZSIC Classification S.942) to the Education and Training industry (specifically ANZSIC Classification P.802, P.821 and P.822) who are listed as a permitted industry. This includes remote teaching and learning from home.
Additionally, Beyond the Box are an ancillary IT business (All Sectors) “involved in the supply[,] repair, maintenance[,] distribution, transportation or sale of equipment, goods or services necessary for the operations” of permitted industries (including but not limited to the aforementioned categories, and our registered provision of goods and services for the NDIS).
As a result of stage 4 industry restrictions in Metropolitan Melbourne, Beyond the Box has made required changes to our operations to comply with our Employer obligations and the directions of the Chief Health Officer, Victoria. Beyond the Box also has an appropriate COVID Safe Plan in place which is updated regularly.